Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Blue Quest: from boy to man


Going on a long journey, searching for answers, I travel along dusty trails and across the hot desert.  I feel the sweat bead and drop in sweet release.   Azhé’é tells me to hunt and look for sign. I saw scat from the ma’ii, and heard her howl to the moon in the cool night. Maybe she will lead me to gah, the buttery flesh is easy to skin with my flint knife and I can cook it slowly over the fire. My brother went on the journey and came back strong and had many pelts.  I search for the blue stone, dootl’i’izhii for my bride. We will sit at the twin rocks on that day. She will wash my hands and I will wash hers. Then we will eat of the earth, north, south, east, and west. The family will feast on the breads and tomatoes and mutton. Hunger is hurting me, as I think on this day, but this will make me strong like, ánaaí.

Walking through the desert, you can feel the spirits calling you. Hot are my feet, they keep pace with the beat of the eagle wings, soaring above. She glides along the crest, searching for carrion to devour her babies hunger. Her call is to the amá, who creates all for those on ni' and those who glide in the sky. Her gift to me is at my feet, a golden token of her flight. I bind it to my headdress in honor of her gift, and as I spread my arms I dance her dance across the desert floor.

As I walk back to the hooghan, my sack heavy with pelts, I give thanks to the ma’ii that brought me much, as I hunt as he does. I have one more precious find in my pouch, round and perfect. The blue stolen from the tears of the moon as she cried that sun had won the day when all the ni’ was wakeful. It glides over my fingers, smooth and cool. It will make a fine prize, for my new bride. Journey’s end marks the new begin.

 

Photo from the website navajorug.com
                                                  http://navajorug.com/athapascan-ancestors/

No comments:

Post a Comment